Tell you what, when growing up I was the fat girl (now there are sweeter versions). I particularly used to hate the P.E (physical education) but now the worst part was that we used to have (let’s say it together) P.E five days in a week!
For a long time, I did not like my body and this even affected my self-esteem. I would compare myself with my classmates and I would wish upon a star that I would wake up one day and walah! I would be stick thin. This thing was so real that I remember once in class five during the dreaded P.E lessons, I told my “girlfriends” that that wasn’t my body. that it was a mask and that at night I remove it and become thin. And the best part of it? I told them that this was just a body just to test to see if people would love me for who I am! SMH!
By this point I hope you realize that this has very little to do with what I am going to discuss, lol. All that was a side note. yes, ALL THAT.
Fast forward to now, many years later and I am amazed and rather thankful that things have changed in my favor (Travis Green sang just right). Us people from thighland (see what I did there?) are sought after. we have a new name. we are not fat anymore. we are thick…or better yet, curvy, or better still sexy. But I prefer being called thick. What a time to be alive!
As much as we like this (this is actually where the gist starts) there are a few struggles we have here and there that I would like to talk about. Just talk, I promise. Some of these struggles I got from one thickleeyonce and I totally relate!
- First off, getting the perfect angle for a photo is a thick girl main priority. You don’t ever want anyone to catch you slipping and get you from a dodgy angle because your body looks waaaay different from a different angle. You know, there’s just that one angle that makes you look like you don’t have a tummy and that is oh so flattering!
- Reaching that point in life where I am super comfortable with being a fat girl and then someone tells me “no Savai, you’re not fat you’re beautiful” …wait, those are two very different things!
- This one hurts me, my age being always rated 2/4 years older just because of my body size. Need I say more?
- Never finding the right size jeans! yaani this is a big struggle. It should even be number one. Just how can my waist be one size, my hips be another size? Then if I find one that’s fitting on the waist but soo tight I can’t wait in them and vice versa…and when I do this happens..
- Now that its July, all men start hitting on you. Because its cold and apparently I have become a heater and I will keep him warm. This reminds me of like two weeks ago some guy started hitting on me just because, and I quote “unajua July kuna baridi” I told him to buy more blankets or make tea. But this is a story for another day. Si you know I got you covered eh?
- Being given unsolicited health and fitness advice as if I don’t not already know that I need to drink 8 glasses of water or that I do not know that veggies are good for my body!
- This common line “you’re too pretty for a big girl’
- When your boyfriend sees you cold and out of the good will of his heart offers you his jacket, you accept but deep down you know that bish won’t fit!
- Now this one issa major one: when you are chubby and short so all your jeans do that thing at the bottom. This one will never give me peace.
- When my skinny friends say that they are fat and then things just get awkward between us… Bebe I won’t even mention you.
- When you can’t sit on your man’s lap or dread the day he will try to pick you up because you think you too heavy and you will break him.
- Relatives, relatives! These people we are forced to love only on family gatherings. Do you relate to that one aunt who is always reminding you that you’ve added weight? It’s like they think you think you are skinny!
- Having that mini heart attack every time you see a scale.
- Being broke because I spent all my money on food, or on finding my size of clothes.
- Men wanting to be with you because of their own twisted fantasies and finally…
- A man hits on you, you refuse and they say “I was just trying you out. You are fat anyway’ as if I wasn’t fat when you started hitting on me!
- BONUS: because I am extra like that. You know that thing that happens to our jeans when we walk?But in general..
What are some of the struggles of being who you are? Please share with me, I promise to sympathize and/or laugh at you.
UNSURE OF HOW TO CONFESS YOUR LOVE TO SOMEONE? TRY THIS
- Acquire several dozen limes
- Go up to them and then drop all the limes at once!
- Start picking them up, but keep dropping them. The clumsier you look the better your chances.
- Keep doing this until you have their attention. This takes up to thirty minutes.
- Finally gather up the limes. Try looking a bit sheepish.
- Look them deeply in the eyes and say ‘sorry I’m bad at pickup limes.
- Marry them.